Spaghetti Bolognese is a real original Italian classic. At home we always had bolo on Sundays – the time the whole family came together. Even after veganizing the spaghetti recipe still remained on of my favourite Italian pasta dish. The meat can be substituted with firm tofu, buckwheat or even lentils. For this spaghetti bolognese recipe version I chose textured soy protein (TVP) which I also used in my chili sin carne recipe. TVP texture is crumbly and allows to soak up all flavours. Give it a try – you will not regret!
- 1 cup textured soy protein (TVP)
- 1 tbsp vegetable broth powder
- 1 cup water to soak the TVP
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bottle strained tomatoes (24oz)
- 2 cups water for the tomato sauce
- handful fresh oregano and basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 TL salt (or according taste)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- In a bowl combine TVP, vegetable broth powder and water
- Mix until everything combined and soak for 10 minutes
- Add olive oil to a pan and turn the stove to medium heat
- Transfer the soaked TVP to the pan and cook until brown
- Add the onions and garlic brown for another 5 minutes
- Now it’s time to add the strained tomatoes, water, spices and fresh herbs
- Cook for at least 30 minutes on low heat and allow the flavours to develop
The secret of a good tomato sauce is the cooking time. The longer you cook it, the better it tastes. I love to eat the bolo with classic spaghetti pasta but you can also use penne, rigatoni, linguine or any other pasta you like! ENJOY!
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: spaghetti bolognese
You need a visual instruction for my Spaghetti Bolognese (vegan) HOW TO video? No problem, just hop over to my video category or click here to get to the bolo recipe directly. In a short 1 minute video I show you how to combine the ingredients and let you understand the process of cooking Spaghetti Bolognese.
If you make my Spaghetti Bolognese (vegan) let me know in a comment below how you liked it. You can also send me a picture of your creation or tag me on your instagram posts. Use the hashtag #inspiredbyveganstars so that I don’t miss your creation. Every recipe made by you will be shared in my instagram stories!