Feta cheese isn’t vegan – but you can create a delicious cruelty free version
If you are looking for a dairy free feta substitute which is not made from tofu, this is THE recipe to try. Compared to the tofu feta version this recipe is directly made from soy beans. The feta is a great topping for pasta, salads and other dishes where you want to use a flavorful and creamy cheese alternative.
Don’t let yourself be fooled by the long recipe. Actually, it is super easy to make cause the ingredients are just thrown in a blender. I recommend to soak the soy beans overnight so you can dive into the recipe the next day. I want to encourage you to try the recipe and experience this wonderful animal product free cheese alternative yourself! For me it’s already a regular staple in my fridge! I bet you love it as much as I do!
This vegan feta cheese is:
- made without tofu
- creamy and flavorful
- suitable for various dishes
- unique and delicious
I love to veganize traditional dishes. One thing which was on my list since forever was this vegan feta cheese recipe. After my first batch turned out a bit dull I improved the flavors of the second batch and took it to the next level. Now, I have created a delicious dreamy creamy animal product free alternative which I can enjoy without feeling guilty. A recipe you must try!
Ingredients for the feta:
- 2 cups soy beans, soaked overnight
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup soy milk (optional: rice, oat, cashew, almond)
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp agar agar (plant-based alternative for gelatin)
Ingredients for the marinate:
- 2 cups olive oil
- 2 bay leaves, dried
- 3 stalks fresh oregano
- 1 stalks fresh thyme
- 2 stalks fresh rosemary
- 3 sun-dried tomatoes, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Instructions for the vegan feta cheese:
- Place the soy beans and the water into a bowl and soak overnight
- The next day, drain and rinse the soy beans
- In salt water cook the soy beans on medium heat for 30 minutes until soft
- Drain and rinse the soy beans after cooking
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Put all ingredients for the feta into a high speed blender
- Then, with help of the pestle, blend for 5 minutes on high speed, until it becomes a creamy paste
- Place a sheet of baking paper to a square baking form (9 inch)
- Transfer the paste from the blender to the form
- Bake the cheese for 25 minutes (necessary to activate the agar agar)
- Let cool and place in the fridge before cutting
Instructions for the marinate (per jar):
- In the meantime, prepare the ingredients for the marinate according the ingredient list
- Cut the feta into bite size cubes
- Alternating layer the herbs, garlic, tomatoes and feta into a tall jar
- Add salt and pepper if you reached the middle layer
- Cover the feta with olive oil and let marinate in the fridge for a few days
The longer you marinate the feta, the more intense the flavors are developing. The feta can be used as a topping for salads, pasta, as tapas and for other dishes where you want to incorporate a creamy and flavorful cheese. Once the jar is empty, I am reusing the oil for cooking or salad dressings.
- Category: Cheese
Keywords: vegan feta cheese
What is agar agar?
Agar Agar is a jelly-like substance which often comes in powdered form and is used as an alternative to animal based gelatin. The substance derived from algae must be activated by heat (194°F) and congeals if the temperature drops to 104°F.
What the heck is miso?
White miso paste is typically made from fermented soy beans. Miso also can be derived from rice, barley and other grains and, therefore, comes in different varieties. The paste gives my dishes a great umami flavor. I love using the salty paste-like substance for cooking, dressings or making vegan cheese (also see my fermented cashew cheese recipe). The probably most known dish where miso paste is used is miso soup.
The first pictures shows a process shot of how the texture of the vegan feta cheese should look like after mixing. On the second picture you can see how the feta marinates in a tall mason jar.
You made my Vegan Feta Cheese recipe? Leave a comment below and let me know your opinion. Send me a picture of your creation via email or tag me on your instagram posts. Use the hashtag #inspiredbyveganstars so that I don’t miss your creation. I am sharing every recipe in my instagram stories!
Save this recipe on pinterest: