Vegan Jelly Filled donuts are:
- baked in the oven
- soy and nut free
- variable & easy to make
- fluffy and delicious
Have you ever made vegan jelly filled donuts? If not, you really missed something! But hey, here you get the chance to bake the perfect animal product free version of your favorite dessert – just in case your sweet tooth is calling! And best thing about this version is that it’s not necessary to fry them – which makes the donuts lighter and a bit healthier. Good news, right?
Together with a good cup of coffee or tea vegan jelly filled donuts are the perfect treat for your guests. No doubt they will love you for this dessert!
Scroll down to the end of this recipe and discover 2 more baking ideas which you can make with the same dough as described for the jelly filled donuts.
As a kid I was crazy about these jelly filled donuts and it didn’t change today. Just right for the fifth season (carnival in Germany) I am releasing this oven baked version filled with rhubarb strawberry jam. This classic is made without any animal products. I bet you will love them as much as I do!
- 3/4 cup oat milk (optional: soy, rice or almond milk)
- 2 1/4 tsps active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 4 oz apple sauce
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (+ 2 tbsp melted butter to brush the donuts)
- 1/2 cup jam of choice
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar or powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a small pot add plant milk and maple syrup
- Heat on medium heat until lukewarm
- Add the active dry yeast and whisk until dissolved
- Set the milk yeast mixture aside
- To a bowl add flour, salt, apple sauce
- With help of a hand (or stand mixer medium speed) process all ingredients until roughly combined
- Add the milk yeast mixture and knead until you get a smooth dough
- Now add the vegan butter and incorporate well
- Remove the dough from the bowl and separate the dough into 8 equal pieces
- With your hands form balls and place on a backing rack covered with parchment paper
- Cover the dough balls with a kitchen towel and let rise for 30 minutes
- Bake the donuts for 15 minutes
- After baking brush the donuts with melted butter
- Dust with powdered sugar or roll in cane sugar
- With help of a piping bag fill the donuts with jam of choice before serving
Make sure the temperature of the milk is not exceeding 140°F. This is the temperature where yeast cells die and makes the dough unable to rise. Perfect fermentation temperature for active dry yeast is 95 °F. For the filling I used rhubarb strawberry but you can use any jam of choice (apricot, raspberry and even chocolate).
- Category: Baking
Keywords: Vegan Jelly Filled Donuts
I have this dream that one day, all classic recipes are available on my blog – without animal products! So we don’t need to harm any creature for our indulgence. This recipes is another step towards this dream. Let me show you that all of your favorite dishes can be made vegan nowadays.
This recipe is dedicated to all donut lovers who want to enjoy an animal product free product without compromising on taste.
Alternative baking 1: CHALLA aka Sweet Braided Bread
- measurements for the dough, baking temperature and time are the same as for the donuts
- use spelt flour instead of wheat if you like
- add 1/4 cup raisins to the dough
- cut the dough into 3 equal pieces, form strings and braid them
- place on a baking rack and let rise for 30 minutes
- brush the dough with some butter
- top with chopped almonds (or nuts of choice)
- Bake at 350 °F for 15-20 minutes
Alternative baking 2: Fluffly Buns
These fluffy buns are made from the same dough as the braided bread on the picture above. If you don’t have spelt flour simply replace it with white flour. The only difference is the shape and the topping. And this is how it works: spread the bottom of a square pan with some melted butter. After kneading the dough, divide the dough into six equal pieces. Shape round balls. Place the dough balls into the baking pan. Cover the dough with a towel, let the balls rise for 30 minutes. Carefully top the buns with melted butter and sprinkle some chopped pistachios on top. Bake at preheated temperature (350 °F) for 15-20 minutes.
Did you try my jelly filled donut, braided bread or fluffy buns recipe? Leave a comment below and let me know your opinion. If you like you can send me a picture of your creation via mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or tag me on your instagram posts. Use the hashtag #inspiredbyveganstars so that I don’t miss your creation. I am sharing every recipe made by you in my instagram stories!